Universal Pre-K

Universal Publicly Funded Pre­Kindergarten Education (Act 166)  

Under Act 166, families have the option of sending their pre­school children to any “pre­qualified” pre­school program regardless of where they reside. Publicly funded Pre­-K under Act 166 offers 10 hours per week of free programming (a voucher system) for all 3­-5 years olds during the academic year (35 weeks) in a variety of locations and settings. While the voucher is for 10 hours per week, many of the HUUSD Pre­-K programs operate more than 10 hours and have after care options available.

To be eligible for the voucher, pre­k children must first be enrolled in their local school and private pre­Ks must be included on the pre­approved list with the Agency of Education in order to access these funds. The following link is available to locate approved centers. Simply input the program name in the first field and leave the other fields alone (which say select all) to check to see if the program you wish your child to attend is pre­qualified.

Bright Futures Child Care Information System OR Child Care Resource

In order for a pre­K program to become a qualified program through the Agency of Education the program must have:

  • Accreditation by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) or Vermont’s STep Ahead Recognition System (STARS)
  • Licensure or be registered by the Department of Children and Families and in good regulatory standing
  • Curriculum aligned with the Vermont Early Learning Standards (VELS)
  • One licensed early childhood or early childhood special educator on staff or supervising during the funded hours
  • Secular pre­kindergarten education

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the date by which my child has to turn 3 in order to be eligible to receive the voucher for Pre­-K? 
Your child must be 3 years old before September 1 to qualify for that academic year. 

How do I enroll my child? 
If you are a resident of Duxbury, Fayston, Moretown, Waitsfield, Warren, or Waterbury, Vermont, you must register/enroll your child at your local (resident) school prior to accessing funds. Each of our 5 elementary schools offer preschool screenings to resident children in the Spring. 

Where can I find out more information about Act 166?

Vermont Agency of Education Website 

Are all of the HUUSD School­-Based Pre­-K Programs Qualified?
Yes, all of the HUUSD Pre­-K programs are qualified. 

What funding is available and what do the funds cover? 
Children enrolled in a private partner program will receive a voucher for the statewide amount and is given directly to the private center for the 10 hours a week and 35 weeks. Consult the private center to see how the funding is distributed to families.

Young Children with Special Needs:

Is the local Education Agency (LEA) required to provide a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) (early childhood special education services) outside of the supervisory union towns?
No. The LEA is only responsible for “child find” which means the identification and evaluation of resident children with disabilities within and outside the supervisory union towns. The LEA is only required to provide FAPE (early childhood special education services) in the least restrictive environment (LRE) for resident children found eligible for special education and related services within the school district boundaries or at the discretion of the school district.